Skip to main content

Township of Horton

Description
In 1759/1760, the Township of Horton was bordered by the Gaspereau and Habitant Rivers and included the 'great marshes'. Besides New Englanders from Connecticut, the Township was settled by Loyalist families and Irish immigrants who arrived in the 1770s and 1780s. The towns of Upper Horton and Horton Corner were established some time after the first community of Lower Horton, which was located at the mouth of the Gaspereau River.

The collection consists of documents, assumingly created by clerks and commissioners of the Township of Horton, which record vital statistic information, proof of appointments, and property plans for the years 1760 to 1885. Many of these items are photocopies.
Displaying 1 - 4 of 4

Results per page

Displaying 1 - 4 of 4

Township of Horton

Image
Dates: 1760 to unspecified decade in 19XX
Collection: Township of Horton, Archival Catalogue
Type: finding aid

Horton Township record book

Image
Dates: 1761 to 1826
Collection: Township of Horton
Description: A record book for the township of Horton. Includes records for crops, births, deaths, and marriages, as well as information about cattle marks and earmarks. Note: There are several blank pages that have been left in certain sections to allow for the addition of further records. The ledger also includes at least three poems and a sketch of the authors grandmother. Inscription, "Book of… more
Accession Number: 1972.002-HOR/001
Type: textual record

Index

Image
Dates: unspecified decade in 18XX to 1970
Collection: Township of Horton
Description: Volume is an index to record book entitled "Book of marks for the Township of Horton 1846," arranged alphabetically.
Accession Number: 2015.004-HOR/001
Type: textual record

Township of Horton land survey

Image
Dates: 1760
Collection: Township of Horton
Description: Plan of Horton Town, surveyed and laid out in June 1760, by Charles Morris, Chief Surveyor. Includes the names of those who were given each lot. Inscription, "Plan of Horton Town Surveyed and laid out in June 1760 By. Chas. Morris, Chief Surveyor".
Accession Number: 1900.355-HOR/001
Type: map